Below is the route we have traveled so far. Most of the time it is not up to date, because I need to generate it manually.
Some numbers and facts:
Longest distance in one day:
193 km, China
Most altitude climbed:
2075m, Siliguri to Sonada, India
1804m, Meghri pass, Armenia
5416m, Thorong La, Nepal
4655m, Akbaital Pass, Tajikistan
Wolfgang – Back pain first 3000 km
Cora – Knee pain first 3000km
Both – Giardia amoebe infection Iran to Kazakhstan
Cora – High fever Dashoguz, Turkmenistan
Cora – High fever Termiz, Uzbekistan
Wolfgang – Part of tooth broke off, Kyrgyzstan
Wolfgang – High fever in Hapur, India
Wolfgang – Knee ligament injury, Myanmar
Cora- High fever, northern Laos
Wolfgang – High fever, southern Laos
- Wolfgang km 3300 Georgia
- Cora km 3500 Georgia
- Wolfgang km 3600 Armenia
- Wolfgang km 8500 Uzbekistan
- Wolfgang km 8550 Tajikistan
- Wolfgang km 10.000+ Kyrgyzstan
- Cora km 12.000+ India
- Wolfgang – Shilong, India
- Wolfgang – Bagan, Myanmar
- Wolfgang – Kasi, Laos
- Wolfgang – Chitose, Japan
- Wolfgang – Somewhere, Japan
- Wolfgang – Shimukappu, Japan
- Wolfgang – Pingquan, China
- Wolfgang – Choir, Mongolia
- Wolfgang – Ulan Bator (twice)
- Wolfgang – Western Russia
- Wolfgang – At Russian/ukraine border
Replaced bicycle parts:
- Georgia: Wolfgang rear wheel brake pads
- Georgia: Cora front and rear wheel brake pads
- Iran: Wolfgang kickstand
- Tajikistan: Wolfgang front wheel brake pads
- Kyrgyzstan: Wolfgang front wheel tube
- Nepal: Wolfgang and Cora all brake pads
- India, Shilong: Wolfgang rear tire
- Myanmar: Wolfgang new shift cable, Cora new brake cable
- Thailand, Udon Thani: Both of us got new chain, new chain rings and new cassette.
- Laos, Vientiane: Cora new front light
- Bangkok, Thailand: Cora new rear tire, Wolfgang new front tire
- Bangkok, Thailand: Wolfgang new saddle
- Bangkok, Thailand: Replaced pulleys. Got the wrong ones in Udon Thani.
- Akita, Japan: Wolfgang Shimano front derailleur replaced after a part of it broke
- Shimukappu, Japan: Wolfgang chain lock
- Shikoku, Shift wire replaced
- Shikoku, Tension belt replaced
- South Korea, chain segment replaced
- Seoul, rear wheel replaced completely
- Seoul, rear wheel replaced again completely
- Seoul, shift handle replaced
- Seoul, shift cable replaced
- Seoul, cassette replaced
- Seoul, chain replaced
- Seoul, all break pads replaced
- Dandong (China) – Right pedal replaced
- Germany: broken hook on Ortlieb pannier after little accident with a wall. Replaced
- Germany: 2 failing insulation mattresses. One got repaired by Exped free of charge and I got the money back for the other one. Meanwhile I had bought a new one.
- Serbia: Kick stand breaks under heavy load. Get a new one in Iran.
- Bulgaria: Cora`s Busch&Mueller USB-Werk failed. Still warranty. Got new one shipped to Almaty.
- Georgia: One tent pole slightly damaged. Slightly fixed.
- Iran: Cora`s Busch&Müller front light damaged, because bicycle fell into the water filled road side ditch. Reflecting surface dissolved in water (!). Informed B&M and git a new one for free.
- Uzbekistan: Big Ortlieb pannier has several holes. Not sure if caused by animal or rough use. Trying to find Ortlieb repair kit somewhere.
- Tajikistan: Kick stand I got in Iran also broke under heavy load. Not replaced.
- Tajikistan: Cora`s MSX rear panniers both broke along the Pamir highway. Fixed with a tree branch. MSX provided replacement parts for free. Received them in Almaty.
- Tajikistan: Air pump damaged on Pamir highway, while some guys used it to fix their flat tire on a 4WD. Got a new one in Almaty.
- Kyrgyzstan: Tent pole broke. Fixed with tent repair kit. Informed Exped and got four pole segments for free.
- Kyrgyzstan: Pedals start to get loose
- Kyrgyzstan: Tent front entrance zipper starts to make trouble.
- Kyrgyzstan: Valve of Cora’s insulating mattress starts to fall apart.
- Nepal: Wolfgang’s handlebar bag frayed out
- Nepal: Cora’s front pannier torn apart. Fixed with some old bicycle tube.
- Nepal: Cora’s new Busch&Müller USB-werk fails again
- Myanmar: Wolfgang’s third Term-A-Rest gets a bubble. Replaced in Bangkok
- Thailand, Mae Sot: Wolfgang trousers torn apart: Fixed by a tailor.
- Laos, Vientiane: Wolfgang rear pannier torn apart. Sewed together.
- Laos, Vientiane: Parcel with new tent poles, new light for Cora.
- Japan, USB-werk stops working
- Japan, Odate: Tent pole breaks
- Japan, Kamishihoro, Tent pole breaks
- Japan, Chain breaks
- Japan, Tension belt breaks
- Japan, pannier rack bolt breaks
- Japan, rear rim breaks
- Japan, rear wheel hub bearing worn down
- South Korea, chain breaks
- Seoul, new wheel spokes not tightened
- Seoul, shift cable breaks
- Seoul, shift handle stops working
- Seoul, spoke cut by chain
- China, tent pole breaks
- Gobi (Mongolia), insulating matress puncture
- Mongolia, Ominfuel burner stopped working. Something stuck in the fuel pipe. Can’t fix.
Lost & Found
- Georgia: Lost credit card. Got a new one in Tehran.
- Iran: Lost sun hat minutes after I bought another one
- Tajikistan: Found an excellent winter jacket for Cora, which probably fell from a 4WD’s roof.
- Tajikistan: Lost three cycling gloves. Found one and lost it again.
- Kyrgyzstan: Cora’s cellphone got stolen.
- Nepal: Lost one cycling glove.
- Nepal: Found a fleece buff on Annapurna Circuit.
- Nepal: Found a bicycle air pump on Thorong La.
- Nepal: Lost USB battery charger.
- Nepal: Lost Cora. Found her again 3 hours later.
- India: Lost our designer laundry bag
- Laos: Lost Cora’s tension belt
- Vietnam: Lost Cora’s helmet
- Vietnam: Found little towel a few days after Wolfgang decided he wants one. Perfect.
- Vietnam: Lost Cora’s rear mud catcher.
- Cambodia: Lost Wolfgang’s left glove in laundry
- Thailand: Found Fat Cat
- Japan: Found minion and pokemon
All the countries we have visited on this tour so far: